This blog is an outlet for my personal thoughts and views. It is generally concerned with life, science, nature and the world around us. It will often cover items about surfing, or should that be especially about surfing. There may also be some philosophical discourse. There will not be any politics and very little religion. I must point out all views expressed are my own and are not intended to offend anyone, or be taken as proven facts - there are times when I have been proven to be incorrect or misguided. While I try to be accurate, I am human and will make mistakes, so please be understanding.

Gallery

Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Changes

Because I'm not very consistent writing here I have decided to simplify things. With that in mind I have removed the details and bibliography pages, including anything from them in this post. The gallery page remains, who knows I may put some new stuff on it?


Are we Unique?

It is believed there are a few hundred sextillion stars (about 1023) in the observable Universe. Now if you assume only 1 percent of these have small rocky planets and 1 percent of those are habitable, and of those 1 percent evolve multi-cellular life, it would mean 100 quadrillion (1017) instances of complex, potentially intelligent life in the universe.

While this seems a high number of potential instances of life, it would mean that on average if these were spread across the cosmos they would be separated by almost one million light years. 

Allowing that most stars are found in galaxies this equates approximately to a million instances of complex life in the Milky Way, separated by an average of only 300 light years. 

Obviously all this is speculation waiting for an answer.



Use Light right

To be alert in the day and sleep well at night

 Get lots of bright light during the day, especially in the morning - it will make you more alert, happier and help you sleep at night

As you get older you need more light during the day (especially blue light which resets the body clock

Dim the lights before bed-time i.e. no bright screens etc.

Maintain a consistent bed time and wake time from day to day.

Anytime spent in the dark makes your body clock more sensitive to light so don’t turn lights on during the night.

Avoid late in the day caffeine and develop a relaxing bedtime

If you still struggle to sleep try wearing amber coloured glasses in the hours before bedtime (filters out blue wavelengths).



Reading material


Butt T. (2010) The War Report: Waves are Resources. Surfers Against Sewage: Cornwall



Royal Society (2001) The role of land carbon sinks in mitigating global climate change. Document 10/01. Royal Society: London



Royal Society (2005) A guide to facts and fictions about climate change. Royal Society: London



Royal Society (2005) Ocean acidification due to increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide. Document  12/05. Royal Society: London



Royal Society (2008) Sustainable Biofuels: Prospects and challenges. Document 01/08. Royal Society: London